- You may be asking yourself, “Why is she mentioning the Kardashians on her business website?” I promise, it fits in beautifully with the subject of shameless self-promotion. Love it or hate it — entrepreneuriship is all about self-promotion.
Consider some of the celebrities we all know like the Kardashians: Oprah, Drew Barrymore, Gwyneth Paltrow, and LeBron James, to name a few. They’re all natural promoters of what they have to offer the world.
Here are lessons I learned from the Kardashians:
- Position. Position yourself around people who can make a difference in your life. Ask yourself, “Who can I meet today who will make a difference in my success?” Maybe go a step further and remind yourself by writing it in big, bold letters on your bathroom mirror.
– Who can help me meet my goals?
– Is it a prospective customer/client? A colleague with contacts? An association with key members who may become prospects?
Don’t settle into interacting with the people who are the easiest to access. You need to reach outside your comfort zone and there you’ll find a wealth of new connections that can facilitate great success.
- Style. No, this doesn’t mean you need to wear CHANEL to bring in more business (though let’s be honest, look at this bag! W.A.N.T.). What this really means is differentiate yourself from competitors. What makes you memorable with customers? If you meet people and they don’t remember you once you leave the room, you have a problem. Consider subtle changes to your:
– Business cards
– Company messaging
– And, tighten up your elevator pitch to make a bigger impact.
- Repetition. This is the third trait of natural promoters. You can’t say it once and leave it at that. Successful self-promoters say it as many times as they need to until they get a response, then they say it again. You may have to make multiple impressions on those you are networking with in order to build brand awareness. Repetition directly impacts positioning. Once you find people to network with, reach out and find hundreds more who can help with your success.